Do you include body toning exercises in your workout routine? If not, you are missing out on some great health benefits. While cardiovascular exercise helps to keep you healthy, you could double the benefits by including toning exercises. Want to learn the best body toning exercises and how to do them? Read on.
10 best body toning exercises:
- Plank: Get into a push-up position, with your forearms on the ground. Squeeze your glutes and abdominals, while keeping your body in a straight line from head to toe. Hold this position.
- Bicep curls: Holding a weight in your hand, slowly curl your forearm towards your shoulder and repeat.
- Tricep dips: Plant your hands firmly on a chair behind you, about shoulder width apart, and slowly lower your body down to the floor. Bend your knees to make this easier if you need to.
- Oblique sit ups: Start with your back flat to the floor with your hands at your temples. Perform the exercise by raising your knees up off the ground one at a time, bringing your elbow to your opposite knee in a lateral movement.
- Sit ups: Start with your back flat to the floor and your knees upright with feet flat on the floor. Slowly sit up, bringing your torso towards your knees, tensing your stomach muscles.
- Kettle bells: Working with weights will improve your results. If you have a kettlebell you can use this to work through your recommended exercises.
- Lunges: Place your hands on your hips and make an exaggerated but controlled step forward on one leg. Return to start position and repeat with the other leg.
- Push ups: Lie flat on your stomach and place your hands on the floor, about shoulder width apart. Raise yourself up so that your elbows are at right angles and then lower yourself back down. You can do this with your knees bent to make it easier if needed.
- Squats: Stand with your feet shoulder width apart and hold both arms out straight in front of you. Lower your body down (as if about to sit into a chair) until you feel your stomach muscles tighten. Hold for 5 seconds. Repeat.
- Back extension: Lie flat on your stomach with your ankles together. With your hands at your temples and arms out straight, raise your torso up a few inches. Feel your back and stomach muscles tightening.
The benefits of body toning exercises:
- Reduces resting heart rate
- Decreases risk of developing Type 2 diabetes and heart disease
- Increases HDL (good) cholesterol levels in the blood
- Strengthens immune system
- Improves mood and mental stability
- Improves posture, balance and coordination
- Increases metabolism
- Improves cardiovascular fitness
- Improve muscular strength and endurance
- Increases lean muscle mass
- Boosts weight loss
- Improves flexibility
Want to read more? Try these articles:
Return to: Advice Centre